1870 – Captain Allen W. Estes established the first homestead on the Indian River near Bethel Creek. He was known as the "old hermit of Bethel Creek."
1891 – Henry T. Gifford applied to build a post office in the area. Folklore states that his wife Sarah gave the name of Vero, which in Latin means "in truth."
1893 – Henry Flagler’s Florida’s East Coast Railroad began operation through Indian River County, allowing fishermen and small fruit and vegetable growers to ship their products to the north.
1903 – After Henry Flagler opened access to south Florida with his railway, the small community of Vero built their first railway station.
1911 – Herman Zeuch, born in Iowa in 1867, purchased 55,000 acres (220 km2) of land for growing citrus after twelve trips to Florida and three years of planning. After this purchase, Zeuch began draining the land for development.
1912 – Zeuch formed the Indian River Farms Co. and hired a civil engineer from Iowa, William H. Kimball, to continue draining the land. Zeuch and his assistant, Col. R. D. Carter laid out a town site and built the town of Vero over the next few years. Originally, the streets were given names from places in Iowa and Illinois such as Des Moines and Davenport. Within a year, they changed their minds and named the streets...
In addition to the endless array of recreational activities available to residents and visitors to Vero Beach, the level of cultural sophistication in this seaside town is equally and exceedingly diverse. People here are as passionate for the arts as they are for their golf handicaps or their tennis matches.
From the beachside complex at Riverside Park, which includes the Vero Beach Museum of Art and Riverside Theatre
, to the numerous nature preserves and wildlife refuges, Vero Beach residents take great pride in preserving their unique natural gifts and cultural lifestyle.
The Vero Beach Museum
of Art is a 55,412 square foot cultural arts facility situated on seven acres of Indian River County's 26-acre Riverside Park. This accredited art museum and educational institution provides cultural leadership and enrichment for the public through a wide variety of educational, studio art and humanities programs. The museum has five art galleries, sculpture garden and education wing that includes seven studio classrooms, an art library, seminar rooms, 3,800 square foot outdoor studio and foundry, 250-seat auditorium, museum store and exceptional public spaces for art installations and public programs. The museum also features guided tours, an International Lecture Series, Distinguished Professor Series, Film Studies Series, special events and studio art classes.
The Vero Beach Art Club
, also located at the museum, sponsors...