The below checklist is designed to aid in preparations to close your Florida home for the season. Some procedures may apply to your situation, others may not. Use this list as a guide to check off those tasks of greatest concern to you.
3 Weeks Prior to Leaving:
- Have your air conditioning system serviced and humidistat calibrated, if present.
- Call telephone company to temporarily suspend service during your absence.
- Review homeowners insurance policy and update, if necessary.
- Determine what method(s) you will use to control humidity inside your home and/or control fungal growth.
- Make arrangements for a trusted friend/relative or hire a service to check on your home periodically.
- Arrange for landscaping / pool maintenance.
- Arrange for someone to secure shutters and/or prepare home in the event of a hurricane threat.
2 Weeks Prior to Leaving:
- Purchase timers for lamps, radio or other appliances.
- Arrange to forward mail.
- Arrange for cancellation of newspapers, magazines.
- Run air conditioning on humidistat settings to test reliability. It should run at least two out of every 24 hours.
1 Week Prior to Leaving:
- Clean refrigerator and freezer.
- Check operation of dehumidifier, if you use one.
- Place in central location.
- Remove interior plants and exterior plants in pots and containers.
- Eat food in the food cabinets or plan to give away or discard. Do not keep herbs such as parsley, oregano, basil, etc. You may, however, keep spices such as cinnamon, curry, nutmeg, etc. and all canned products.
Day of Departure:
- Empty refrigerator and freezer; disconnect and leave door slightly ajar.
- Run 1 dozen ice cubes and 2 or 3 tablespoons baking soda through the garbage disposal to clean blades.
- Empty dishwasher.
- Set timers on lights.
- Drain and disconnect water heater.
- Set burglar alarm.
- Check air conditioning for proper settings.
- Lock doors and secure exterior.